Tuesday, July 26, 2011

I feel like I don’t know anything about economics or finance and that as a result, things like raising the US debt ceiling and the impact of the national economies on the EU go over my head. I assume the parameters of the debate around something like my mother’s ‘there’s nothing necessarily wrong with debt’ ideas and the ‘I’ve been saying for years’ comments section of the Age, where conspiracy theorists rail about The Government and The Left and various other amorphous beasts.

I had a cursory look at the Business section of the Age at lunchtime today, but am not interested in shares prices of companies I’ve never heard of, and can’t comprehend the articles that require a basic understanding of The State of Things. Oh, it’s gone from 0.4 to 0.9! Oh.. I suppose that’s.. good?

I just don’t know where to start, apart from the Wikipedia ‘2011 US debt ceiling crisis’ article. I feel like I’ve come back from overseas having not read an Australian newspaper for a few months, in the midst of a juicy scandal that everyone already knows about. Like the gangland wars. No idea. Names and suburbs and people shot each other. If you miss the start and the lead up, you’ve missed the boat, and I seem to have missed a lot of boats.

No comments:

Post a Comment