Friday, December 31, 2010

The Colour of Magic

The Colour of Magic (Discworld, #1)The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett

My rating: 1 of 5 stars


The only reason I tried to read this book again is because I am on holiday, and need something to break up the Seven Pillars of Wisdom. This was the only English book I could find, and as much as I have hated Terry Pratchett before, I figured that it couldn't possibly be as terrible as my memory would have me believe.



Wrong.



Reading Terry Pratchett is the literary equivalent of watching sketch comedies inspired by the local political figures of another country, a decade on. I imagine that you'd like if you had watched it back then, and had a chuckle. Now, however, it seems dated and un-funny. There are a few little quips that made me smirk, but they couldn't keep me going beyond about 2/3 of the book. I hate it.



I love fantasy. Swords, horses, mana, flaxen locks, spells and chosen children are not a problem for me. I'm happy to read pulpy trash, particularly on holiday. One would think that I'm the kind of person that ought to love the the kind of person that ought to love the Discworld series. I'm just not. Three or so chances are enough; this is one of the very few books that is too painful to finish than to leave hanging.



View all my reviews

No comments:

Post a Comment